16 Day Gems of Southeast Asia
Air & Land
Click a Date to Book Online
Click a Date to Book Online
|2017 Dates & Prices||2017 Dates & Prices|
|Dates||Land Only||Air & Land|
|2018 Dates & Prices||2018 Dates & Prices|
|Dates||Land Only||Air & Land|
Prices do not include Cambodia visa fees, Vietnam visa fees, Laos visa fees, optional tours and gratuities for guides/tour managers. Land only price does not include arrival/departure transfer, but does include intra-flights.
Passengers traveling abroad require a passport valid for six months beyond their travel dates. All travelers are responsible to check if a visa is required for all countries on their itinerary. For visa information, check our Visas page.
Is This Trip Right for You?
- Small groups of maximum 22 travelers guaranteed
- International flights San Francisco-Phnom Penh, Hanoi-San Francisco
Other departure cities available. Click on date of departure for selection and prices
- Airline taxes & fuel surcharges
- All intra-flights: Siem Reap-Bangkok, Bangkok-Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang-Hanoi
- 14 nights First Class accommodations
- 2 nights Phnom Penh
- 2 nights Siem Reap
- 3 nights Bangkok
- 2 nights Luang Prabang
- 4 nights Hanoi
- 1 night Halong Bay
- Hotel porterage
- All transfers and sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned vehicles
- 31 meals: 14 breakfasts, 9 lunches & 8 dinners (including a home hosted dinner, and welcome & farewell dinners)
- Bottled water during sightseeing excursions. Bottled water, coffee, and tea with all meals. Beer included with welcome, farewell and home hosted dinners
- Services of local English-speaking tour manager throughout
- Comprehensive, guided sightseeing and entrance fees per itinerary
- Active itinerary with unique cultural features
- Comfortable wireless earphones for enhanced touring
- Thanks to our small group size, we can get to the heart of our destination, visit places that other tours miss, and get to know the locals
- View the impressive Silver Pagoda on the grounds of the Royal Palace complex in Phnom Penh with its floor of over 5000 shimmering silver tiles and its crystal Emerald Buddha.
- Meet a Cultural Historian for a discussion on Cambodia's heritage and resilient population.
- Stand in awe at the architectural masterpieces of Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat, designated as one of the "Seven Wonders of the World".
- See the mysterious Bayon Temple, replete with over 172 giant smiling stone faces.
- Boat excursion on Tonle Sap Lake in the heart of Cambodia.
- Ride an ox-cart in the lush farmlands of Siem Reap.
- Tour Bangkok's elaborate and glittering Grand Palace complex and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.
- Visit serene Wat Po, home of the astonishing giant Reclining Buddha, over 150 feet long.
- Cruise on the Chao Phraya River from Bangkok to Ayutthaya, the second Siamese capital.
- Visit to impressive Ayutthaya Historical Park, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Participate in a special Baci Ceremony in Luang Prabang, with prayers to bestow good fortune.
- Take part in the sacred ancient tradition of Alms-giving to Buddhist monks.
- Sail on Halong Bay, one of the most breathtaking places on the planet, designated as one of the "New Seven Wonders of the World".
- In Hanoi, attend the world-famous Water Puppet Show, accompanied by a Vietnamese orchestra.
- Ride a "cyclo" through the busy streets of the Old Quarter.
Sign up for Gate 1 Travel's The Deal today! The Deal offers you unique, subscriber only savings that are available for a limited time only delivered to your inbox every week. Don't waste precious hours scouring the web trying to create a low-cost vacation package on your own; The Deal is a simple click away! Subscribe here.
455 Maryland Drive
Ft. Washington, PA 19034 USA
Discovery Tours itineraries may contain suggestions for activities for your leisure time; these suggestions do not constitute a recommendation nor an endorsement of any specific service provider and the decision to participate in any such activities should be made independently.
This first class hotel is about a fifteen minute drive away from the city center of Phnom Penh.Hotel Details
This first class hotel is situated nearby the Angkor National Museum.Hotel Details
This first class hotel overlooks the Chao Phraya River.Hotel Details
This superior first class hotel is a short ride away from the Luang Prabang city center.Hotel Details
- Tours purchased while travelling may cost an extra 10% or more
- Tours often sell out. Avoid disappointment
- Save your cash. Credit card processing may not be possible locally
- Travel insurance only covers services purchased prior to departure
- Book Online or call to book these tours up to 1 week before your departure
- The day the optionals operate varies by the day of the week
After a delicious traditional Thai Dinner, along with a Classical Dance performance, the evening continues with a Cabaret Show at a nearby theatre. The show is a fun way to get to know more about the “lady-boy” scene in Bangkok. You’ll be welcomed warmly in many different languages. Thailand is well known for “lady-boys” and this show features them doing what they love the most -- dressing up to the hilt and miming to Cher’s music. Some of these ‘ladies’ have features that would make women jealous but this is an attractive illusion as they were all born men. The performers are anxious to entertain and put on a good show that you will enjoy.
Approximate tour duration is 4.5 hours.
|Day #7||01 Sep 2014 - 30 Jun 2018||$64.00|
Drive to the Red River Delta to experience a “day in the life” of typical northern villages. Located to the west of Hanoi, the first village we visit has a history dating back over 2000 years. Before 1945, this was once the wealthiest village in the north with many successful businesses. Today, you can still see many of the old houses and villas, over 100 years old, built before and during the colonial period. A walk through the village, followed by a visit to a local home will enrich your experience with examples of daily life and the typical structure of a village in North Vietnam. Then, on to Chuong Village, the center of conical hats, or “non la”, worn by most Vietnamese. With most of the residents involved in this business, a visit to the village will be enlightening and give you an opportunity to learn about this very interesting labor-intensive job. The tour includes lunch in Hanoi.
Approximate tour duration is 6 hours.
|Day #15||01 Jul 2016 - 30 Jun 2018||$56.00|
I cannot stop talking about how fabulous this trip was! Every morning we had an incredible day planned for us. I had expected to see a lot but was not prepared for all the amazing experiences we had. I travel with 3 girlfriends every other year as our schedules permit, we each have a chance to pick out a dream trip with all our inputs so everyone is happy. As this was my friends choice, I hadn't done any research other than wanting to see Halong Bay, but I knew from previous travels with Gate 1 that we would be pleased. Pleased? I was dazzled everyday! I could not have been any happier with the itinerary, the program director, the guides, the hotels, meals, and the experiences of local transportation and the local people we met. Thank you Gate 1 for providing such a wonderful travel memory for me.Elizabeth A. Seattle, WA
We've been raving about our trip to friends since we got back - the itinerary was outstanding, our tour manager Udom was quite excellent and the four local guides were wonderful. We especially love the Discovery tours.Robert C. New York, NY
The trip was absolutely awesome! Gate 1 hires the best tour guides & tour managers. There were so many nice touches, for example, on our tour we participated in alms giving to Buddhist monks in Laos, whereas people on other tours only got to observe. I have so many positive memories of this trip.Donna L. Viola, WI
We wanted to submit our review of the trip and your inquiry is very timely. The small group (12 people) was ideal. The program for "Gem of Southeast Asia" was excellent although we wished the tour included Saigon in Vietnam. The hotels and meals were great. We do want to mention that the tour guides in each country (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) were extremely knowledgeable about their country and the information they provided was invaluable. We do want to express the superb job of the tour manager (Lift) throughout the trip. Lift entertained us with her humor and honesty. In addition, she made it sure that we were safe when we were walking on uneven streets or pavements and visiting caves. She had her first aid kit available for anyone who may require attention. She was attentive to each one of us for comfort, safety, and enjoyment. All the travels John and I have had since late 1980s, Lift is one of the best tour managers. Based on our recent experience, we highly recommend Gate 1 travel.Hwa T. Albuquerque, NM
We had a wonderful trip,great guides throughout,wonderful hotels and so much to see. Panya,our tour manager was outstanding,very attentive to our needs.We gave all our guides: Long,Joy,and Tuyen-5 STARS!!!Daisy E. Turlock, CA
It was amazing! Truly a learning adventure! Our tour guides were friendly, knowledgable, and very entertaining. Every excursion was very worthwhile, well planned, and organized. Truly a journey to be remembered! Thank you for giving us this opportunity!Mary G. Rochester, NY
The SE Asia trip was outstanding! Our tour manager Panya was organized, helpful, articulate, and delightful. He even played the piano and sang! The accommodations were good; locations, perfect. Our group of 16 could not have been more congenial, interesting, and fun. The varied itinerary kept us busy and never bored. I recommend this trip to any and all with an interest in this art of the world. This is probably the BEST trip we have taken when you combine these factors: itinerary, guides, locations, and participants.Linda, Parma, OH
The trip was wonderful! Udom, who was our tour manager, was outstanding. There was nothing he wouldn't help us with when we had free time. He made sure every detail was taken care of and even with the concerns about the typhoon hitting Hanoi right when we were scheduled to arrive, he never became flustered. All of the local guides that we had were fabulous. The hotels were beautiful and in great locations for on-our-own exploration when we had time to ourselves. The meals were excellent as were the activities planned. The small group number in the Discovery group program was excellent. The itinerary was very full and the activities were well planned. I will look at other Discovery Tour trips in the future when booking trips with Gate 1.Janet, Olmstead Falls, OH
My trip was FABULOUS. It was so well organized, we all agreed that we checked our brains at the door! We didn't have to think - just enjoy. I loved the small group concept. I had refused to do tours before because I hate being herded in large groups, but this worked so well, probably more so because we had a wonderful group of people who got along really well and understood the dynamics of group travel. I really liked all our guides, especially Nu, our tour coordinator, and Theany, our Phnom Penh guide. But all had their own skills and talents which I appreciated. I don't know how any trip could be better. Excellent tour. I plan to do another very soon.Barbara, Portland, OR
This was one of my best tours with Gate 1. I really don't know where to start to appreciate the planning for this tour. The coach buses were one of the best transportation - luxury was not compromised. Bottle water and hand sanitizer wipes were provided every time we boarded the bus. All hotels were 5* and 4* as mentioned. Couldn't have asked for any better. Breakfast was the never ending buffet every morning. Vegetarian meal requested throughout the trip was never a issue, and we had the best local vegetarian food. All the extras we had as a small group tour was wonderful. Things like the water puppet show, the local apsara dance, and the local family introduction with dinner at their house was really spectacular. We had about a 4-hr cruise through the Halong Bay - best sailing and personalized just for our group. The schedule for a 16 day tour was perfectly planned out. We even had resting time in the afternoon, and evenings were free to do things on our schedule. Definitely looking to plan another small group tour!Jayshree, Loveland, OH
The trip was fantastic! We had a great time: beautiful accommodations, good meals, knowledgeable tour guide and local guides. Everything was perfect, including the seats on our long flights. The entire trip was another Gate 1 Travel winner; we are already looking for our next trip with Gate 1. Thanks for your help and expert advice.Ewalde, Bethlehem, PA