16 Day Gems of Southeast Asia
Air & Land
Click a Date to Book Online
Click a Date to Book Online
|2018 Dates & Prices|
Optional tours and gratuities.
Land only price does not include arrival/departure transfer, but does include intra-flights.
Thailand will be holding the Thai King’s cremation ceremony Oct 25-29. As this is a major event, there are anticipated road closures and other disruptions that are sure to take place in Bangkok. Adjustments to the itinerary in Bangkok may take place for passengers scheduled to stay during this time.
Passengers traveling abroad require a passport valid for six months beyond their travel dates. All travelers are responsible to check if a visa is required for all countries on their itinerary. For visa information, check our Visas page.
Is This Trip Right for You?
- Small groups of maximum 22 travelers guaranteed
- International flights San Francisco-Phnom Penh, Hanoi-San Francisco
Other departure cities available. Click on date of departure for selection and prices
- Airline taxes & fuel surcharges
- All intra-flights: Siem Reap-Bangkok, Bangkok-Luang Prabang & Luang Prabang-Hanoi
- 14 nights First Class accommodations
- 2 nights Phnom Penh
- 2 nights Siem Reap
- 3 nights Bangkok
- 2 nights Luang Prabang
- 4 nights Hanoi
- 1 night Halong Bay
- Hotel porterage
- All transfers and sightseeing per itinerary in modern air-conditioned vehicles
- 31 meals: 14 breakfasts, 9 lunches & 8 dinners (including a home hosted dinner, and welcome & farewell dinners)
- Coffee and tea with all meals. Beer included with welcome, farewell and home hosted dinners
- Services of local English-speaking tour manager throughout
- Comprehensive, guided sightseeing and entrance fees per itinerary
- Active itinerary with unique cultural features
- Comfortable wireless earphones for enhanced touring
- Thanks to our small group size, we can get to the heart of our destination, visit places that other tours miss, and get to know the locals
- View the impressive Silver Pagoda on the grounds of the Royal Palace complex in Phnom Penh with its floor of over 5000 shimmering silver tiles and its crystal Emerald Buddha.
- Meet a Cultural Historian for a discussion on Cambodia's heritage and resilient population.
- Stand in awe at the architectural masterpieces of Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat, designated as one of the "Seven Wonders of the World".
- See the mysterious Bayon Temple, replete with over 172 giant smiling stone faces.
- Boat excursion on Tonle Sap Lake in the heart of Cambodia.
- Ride an ox-cart in the lush farmlands of Siem Reap.
- Tour Bangkok's elaborate and glittering Grand Palace complex and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.
- Visit serene Wat Po, home of the astonishing giant Reclining Buddha, over 150 feet long.
- Cruise on the Chao Phraya River from Bangkok to Ayutthaya, the second Siamese capital.
- Visit to impressive Ayutthaya Historical Park, designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Participate in a special Baci Ceremony in Luang Prabang, with prayers to bestow good fortune.
- Take part in the sacred ancient tradition of Alms-giving to Buddhist monks.
- Sail on Halong Bay, one of the most breathtaking places on the planet, designated as one of the "New Seven Wonders of the World".
- In Hanoi, attend the world-famous Water Puppet Show, accompanied by a Vietnamese orchestra.
- Ride a "cyclo" through the busy streets of the Old Quarter.
Is This Trip Right for You?
This is an active trip. Our small group covers a lot of ground each day, and we spend 4-5 hours on our feet during tours. The pace is moderate, however you will encounter some uneven surfaces, stairs, steps and significant slopes. There are 72 steps in the Angkor Wat Temple, 37 of which have a steep incline. It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes, and people who have knee problems may want to carry a walking stick.
Sign up for Gate 1 Travel's The Deal today! The Deal offers you unique, subscriber only savings that are available for a limited time only delivered to your inbox every week. Don't waste precious hours scouring the web trying to create a low-cost vacation package on your own; The Deal is a simple click away! Subscribe here.
455 Maryland Drive
Ft. Washington, PA 19034 USA
Discovery Tours itineraries may contain suggestions for activities for your leisure time; these suggestions do not constitute a recommendation nor an endorsement of any specific service provider and the decision to participate in any such activities should be made independently.
This first class hotel is about a fifteen minute drive away from the city center of Phnom Penh.Hotel Details
This first class hotel is situated nearby the 14th-century Wat Phnom Pagoda.Hotel Details
This first class hotel is situated nearby the Angkor National Museum.Hotel Details
This first class hotel overlooks the Chao Phraya River.Hotel Details
This superior first class hotel is a short ride away from the Luang Prabang city center.Hotel Details
This first class hotel is located nearby the Vietnamese Women's Museum.Hotel Details
- Tours purchased while travelling may cost an extra 10% or more
- Tours often sell out. Avoid disappointment
- Save your cash. Credit card processing may not be possible locally
- Travel insurance only covers services purchased prior to departure
- Book Online or call to book these tours up to 1 week before your departure
- The day the optionals operate varies by the day of the week
After a delicious traditional Thai Dinner, along with a Classical Dance performance, the evening continues with a Cabaret Show at a nearby theatre. The show is a fun way to get to know more about the “lady-boy” scene in Bangkok. You’ll be welcomed warmly in many different languages. Thailand is well known for “lady-boys” and this show features them doing what they love the most -- dressing up to the hilt and miming to Cher’s music. Some of these ‘ladies’ have features that would make women jealous but this is an attractive illusion as they were all born men. The performers are anxious to entertain and put on a good show that you will enjoy.
Approximate tour duration is 4.5 hours.
|Day #7||01 Sep 2014 - 30 Jun 2019||$64.00|
Drive to the Red River Delta to experience a “day in the life” of typical northern villages. Located to the west of Hanoi, the first village we visit has a history dating back over 2000 years. Before 1945, this was once the wealthiest village in the north with many successful businesses. Today, you can still see many of the old houses and villas, over 100 years old, built before and during the colonial period. A walk through the village, followed by a visit to a local home will enrich your experience with examples of daily life and the typical structure of a village in North Vietnam. Then, on to Chuong Village, the center of conical hats, or “non la”, worn by most Vietnamese. With most of the residents involved in this business, a visit to the village will be enlightening and give you an opportunity to learn about this very interesting labor-intensive job. The tour includes lunch in Hanoi.
Approximate tour duration is 6 hours.
|Day #15||01 Jul 2016 - 30 Jun 2019||$56.00|
We had an excellent time. It was a "life experience" as we didn't know what to expect and were amazed at the poverty but beauty in Myanmar. I wanted to give a shout-out for our guide - Mojo. He was fantastic. He never stopped helping us out and kept things organized. We have been on a few Gate1 trips and in most cases there is a lead and a local guide. Mojo did both. In addition, he also ensured that at restaurants that the staff were informed as to what to do. He told me that the staff at restaurants don't always get the right training, so he took charge and made sure we were taken care of. I just wanted to make sure he was recognized because without him, the trip would not have been as enjoyable. We will definitely keep traveling with Gate1 as this is a great organization and the trips are fantastic!!!Heidi L. Austin, TX
We had a great trip! We had a very good tour manager, very knowledgeable local guides and a great group of people to travel with. We were thrilled at the opportunity to learn about and experience the rich history and culture of the places we visited. We enjoyed the hotels we stayed at, the accommodation at Luang Prabang was particularly impressive. We liked the experience of trying many different kinds of food with the exception of a few dishes. All in all, it was a very memorable trip.Soham D. San Carlos, CA
Burma was all that Kipling wrote about and more. Each day was an adventure, that will be a memory forever. Our guide "MoJo" was a bonus for us all, as his fountain of knowledge, pride in his country, was shared with a warm smile, and contagious laugh. The hotels in Myanmar were each special, and the Lotte will soon become a Grand Hotel like those in Banff & Jasper, Canada. Still recovering from 27 hour flight home...but wonderful memories dance in our heads.Earl M. Minneapolis, MN
It was fantastic! Indonesia is a fascinating country culturally, historically, geographically, gastronomically, and above all in hospitality. Gate 1 exceeded our expectations--our tour director Cika was a 15 on a 1 to 10 scale--what a resource for Indonesian cultural, historic, religious, political, and social/local customs. He takes great pride in his country and in representing Gate 1. Hotel in Ubud sat in the middle of rice patties and was the most beautiful and exotic place I've ever stayed. The group was very culturally diverse which added to the overall experience too. Gate 1 Discovery Tour experience set a new standard of excellence for us and we are hoping to visit Ireland in the Fall with a DT.Sue D. Stockton, CA
I cannot stop talking about how fabulous this trip was! Every morning we had an incredible day planned for us. I had expected to see a lot but was not prepared for all the amazing experiences we had. I travel with 3 girlfriends every other year as our schedules permit, we each have a chance to pick out a dream trip with all our inputs so everyone is happy. As this was my friends choice, I hadn't done any research other than wanting to see Halong Bay, but I knew from previous travels with Gate 1 that we would be pleased. Pleased? I was dazzled everyday! I could not have been any happier with the itinerary, the program director, the guides, the hotels, meals, and the experiences of local transportation and the local people we met. Thank you Gate 1 for providing such a wonderful travel memory for me.Elizabeth A. Seattle, WA
We've been raving about our trip to friends since we got back - the itinerary was outstanding, our tour manager Udom was quite excellent and the four local guides were wonderful. We especially love the Discovery tours.Robert C. New York, NY
The trip was absolutely awesome! Gate 1 hires the best tour guides & tour managers. There were so many nice touches, for example, on our tour we participated in alms giving to Buddhist monks in Laos, whereas people on other tours only got to observe. I have so many positive memories of this trip.Donna L. Viola, WI
We wanted to submit our review of the trip and your inquiry is very timely. The small group (12 people) was ideal. The program for "Gem of Southeast Asia" was excellent although we wished the tour included Saigon in Vietnam. The hotels and meals were great. We do want to mention that the tour guides in each country (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam) were extremely knowledgeable about their country and the information they provided was invaluable. We do want to express the superb job of the tour manager (Lift) throughout the trip. Lift entertained us with her humor and honesty. In addition, she made it sure that we were safe when we were walking on uneven streets or pavements and visiting caves. She had her first aid kit available for anyone who may require attention. She was attentive to each one of us for comfort, safety, and enjoyment. All the travels John and I have had since late 1980s, Lift is one of the best tour managers. Based on our recent experience, we highly recommend Gate 1 travel.Hwa T. Albuquerque, NM
We had a wonderful trip,great guides throughout,wonderful hotels and so much to see. Panya,our tour manager was outstanding,very attentive to our needs.We gave all our guides: Long,Joy,and Tuyen-5 STARS!!!Daisy E. Turlock, CA
It was amazing! Truly a learning adventure! Our tour guides were friendly, knowledgable, and very entertaining. Every excursion was very worthwhile, well planned, and organized. Truly a journey to be remembered! Thank you for giving us this opportunity!Mary G. Rochester, NY